Now that it's summer, cooling off with a sweet treat might be on your mind. Making your own vegan ice cream doesn't have to be complicated and you can even make it without an ice cream maker. We've put a bit of a twist on the classic ice cream sundae, making this one out of you guessed it, bananas. So that means this could also double as a legitimate breakfast, or snack or for whenever you find yourself craving a little ice cream.
The best part of making homemade ice cream? You get to choose the flavours, mix ins and toppings.
- 8 Frozen Bananas
- 2 Tablespoons of cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 Tablespoons of shredded coconut
- 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup of coconut milk (you can substitute for cashew or almond milk)
- Optional: sweetener of choice such as maple syrup
- Sundae toppings of choice: chocolate syrup, shredded coconut, fresh strawberries/cherries, walnuts, whip cream, sprinkles
- Add frozen bananas and 1/2 cup of coconut milk to blender. Depending on your blender you may want to start with half of the frozen bananas and add more as the mixture begins to blend. You want the consistency of it to be thick. Add additional coconut milk if needed.
- Add cocoa powder, coconut, peanut butter and blend.
- Pour mixture into a container to freeze overnight or enjoy right away. Freezing overnight will allow you to scoop the ice cream.
- Scoop out ice cream and top with your favourite toppings. Don't forget the cherry on top!